The Community Foundation for Muskegon County was created in 1961 to improve the quality of life for Muskegon County residents. As a publicly supported community endowment, the Foundation receives and manages contributions from community citizens and organizations who are charitably inclined and committed to the future of Muskegon County. The Foundation presently supports efforts in the areas of Arts, Education, Environment, Community Development, Health and Human Services as well as Youth Development issues. It is the intent of the Foundation to reflect the collective vision of all Muskegon County residents.
The mission of the Community Foundation for Muskegon County is to build community endowment, effect positive change through grantmaking and provide leadership on key community issues, all to serve donors' desires to enhance the quality of life for the people of our region, now and for generations to come.
The Community Foundation for Muskegon County will continue to be a leading community foundation in the U.S., recognized by our community for excellence in:
- Cultivation of community philanthropy and service to individual philanthropists
- Being a regional catalyst for connecting philanthropists to noble projects
- Grantmaking that reflects the needs and diversity of our community
- Providing leadership for systemic and enduring community improvements
In meeting community needs, the Community Foundation for Muskegon County adheres to the following operating principles:
- To respect the stated charitable intent of all donors
- To emphasize and promote a long-term perspective toward community betterment and a flexibility to meet immediate needs with an emphasis on the nonprofit sector
- To reflect in Foundation activities and in Board membership the diversity of community issues
- To maintain independence, integrity, and objectivity in Foundation pursuits
- To emphasize a proactive posture and to focus on the prevention of problems, as well as on their cure
- To assume the operation of Foundation-funded programs when no other qualified institution exists to do so