- Musician: Professional Instrumental
- If you are a music teacher, please indicate which subject(s) you offer.
- Instrumental Private Lessons, Chamber Music, Orchestra
- My instrument/voice is
- Schools I have attended:
- Hochschule für Musik und Darstellende Kunst Frankfurt; New England Conservatory; Baldwin-Wallace University
- Companies/Organizations I work for:
- Boston Youth Symphony Orchestra
- My web site is
- My highest completed level of education is:
- Master's Degree
- More about me or my organization
- Ashleigh Gordon has performed throughout North America, Europe, and Hong Kong, ranging from chamber and orchestral music settings to off-Broadway and new music productions.
As a contemporary music enthusiast, Ashleigh has performed with the Callithumpium Consort in Jordan Hall (Boston), the International Ensemble Modern Academy in the Konzerthaus Berlin (Germany), and Ensemble Proton in the Gare du Nord (Switzerland). She has also performed with the Boston-based Xanthos, Ludovico and Juventas new music ensembles as well as the celebrated performing and recording group Ensemble Modern. Her strong desire to promote new music has led her to work with such composers as Beat Furrer, Thomas Adès, Luca Francesconi, Chaya Czernowin, Steve Reich, Matthias Pintscher and Frederic Rzewski among others.
Continuing her new music passion throughout her summers, Ashleigh has participated in Le Domaine Forget's "New Music Session" in Quebec as well as the Britten-Pears Young Artist Programme (England) performing in master class workshops with the Arditti String Quartet. In 2012, she attended the 46 Internationale Ferienkurse für Neue Musik in Darmstadt, Germany, and in 2010, participated in the International Ensemble Modern Academy (Austria) where composer, conductor and oboist Heinz Holliger was in residence. Back in Boston, she had the opportunity to work closely with composer Augusta Read Thomas at the 2008 Sound Encounters Summer Festival at the New England Conservatory.
As an advocate of social change through education, Ashleigh has taught through the Boston Youth Symphony Orchestra's Intensive Community Program, providing rigorous string instrumental instruction to populations often underrepresented in classical music, as well as through MusiConnects, a unique organization serving students, communities and families through the transformative power of chamber music.
Ashleigh recently attended the International Ensemble Modern Academy (IEMA) at the Hochschule für Musik und Darstellende Kunst Frankfurt, a year-long program in Germany focused on the study and performance of contemporary music. As the IEMA violist, she studied and performed with members of Ensemble Modern with highlight appearances at IRCAM (Paris), Royaumont Abbey (France), and the Lee Hysan Concert Hall (Hong Kong) as part of the Inter-Tertiary Young Composer's Platform. Ashleigh is a graduate of the New England Conservatory and Baldwin Wallace University Conservatory of Music. Her primary teachers include Carol Rodland and Louise Zeitlin with supplemental solo and chamber music studies with Stephen Drury, Eric Rosenblith and Mai Motobuchi of the Borromeo String Quartet. She has recorded under Mode, Siemens, Navona and Musiques-Suisse record labels.
- Viola, Contemporary Music, Music, Musician, Boston, Jamaica Plain, MA, Massachusetts, Viola teacher, Violin teacher, Suzuki violin teacher,